Thursday, November 02, 2006

Quasi-Winter riding


Here are a couple of pictures I took on a recent ride. The area I live in has quite a few apple orchards, and here is one of them.


It has suddenly become cold here in Reutlingen. By cold, I mean 32F. After having lived in San Diego and San Francisco where it NEVER snows, and the temperature is fairly mild year-round, I am quickly adjusting to cold bike riding. Surveying my inventory of warm garments, I am very happy to have worked at Rivendell this year. On this mornings ride to school, I had Riv wool socks, tights, hat, jersey, neck gaiter, and my wool glomitts(Convertible half finger glove that turns into a mitten). It's going to be fun riding all winter long with my full regalia of wool! I think I brought something like 5 wool tops and jerseys with me, and I'm going to use every one!

I'm a little unsure about which tires to use, as I'm not sure how much snow and ice there will be here. I have a set of 700x37 Panaracer Paselas right now, and a set of 700x37 Marathon XRs that I haven't tried yet. Depending on the severity of the winter, I am also considering a set of Schwalbe Snow Studs or Nokian studded tires. It's a whole new dimension of cycling that I get to experience! I also just got a used 4 season Hilleberg Akto tent, and I'm looking forward to doing some winter s24o stealth camping trips.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice setup!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home